My final blog entry on the group blog detailing all of the assets I had made:
My main responsibility as far as the group project was concerned was to contribute to the growing list of assets required for our level. Many of these included simple objects such as a chair or a table but others were more interesting and challenging to model. Underneath I will go over every asset I have produced for the project.
The first asset I made was a a leather bench; decayed and tattered as one might expect out of an abandonned asylum. I decided to design the piece as five seperate assets which may be interchanged or used independantly in order to add variety.
I used my own refference photos along with some free-to-use photoshop brushes I downloaded. I am pleased with the overall effect and feel the piece is successful in its execution.
The second asset(s) I created were a set of doors to be used in the long corridor as well as the examination room. I wanted to ensure reusing the doors wouldnt be noticable, so I made sure not to leave any distinctive markings on their surfaces. I also wanted the reverse side of the padded cell doors to reflect ther interiors and remembered not to include a handle.
I am pleased with the end result and I was content with the work I did on the alpha maps to ensure the windows were transluscent. Unfortunately UDK requires alphas to be placed in seperate map channels (which I was unaware of at the time) and editing along with a secondary texture map had to be used once exporting them.
I created a fairly simple folding chair to which I made a second variation in which it is in a broken state. It was failry easy to model and texture and I think the end result is good.
An asset that gave me a bit of trouble was the nurses desk in which I had to remake once due to not making it long enough in dimensions. The desk is meant to look weathered and derelict, like the environment it is placed in. I decided to warp the door slightly to restrict player access and also to avoid the notion of it being yet another locked door. In fact, locked doors were something we all wanted to avoid whilst designing our level as we understood how frustrating it would be to the player. Instead we tried to think up imaginitive ways of blocking off routes.
One of the assets I wanted to build for the examination room was the sink; something no surgical environment would be able to function without. I wanted it too look in poor condition and the basin to be very unhygenic. As usual I used my own reference photos which I have edited with brushes. I was also sure to create taps and spouts and position them in the appropriate above the sink.
I am pleased with the asset and feel it is one of my better pieces of work.
I produced a table to match the folding chair I made earlier. It was a fairly simple piece to make and it didnt take me very long. I have ensured that I made my assets slightly chunkier than in real life as I wanted the models to look more noticeable.
The trolley was also a pretty easy and enjoyable asset to produce. I enjoyed making it look grungy and dirty. I copied the lower shelf as an instance to make the top shelf; in doing so saving on the texture budget.
This was another asset I wanted to produce for the examination room. I felt it would be a nice set piece and perhaps offer an insight into what exactly happened in the asylum. The most challenging part was to hand paint the xrays in photoshop. Obviously I couldn't use reference material from online and I didn't have any x-rays handy so using a picture of a skull I found I decided to hand draw it.
I feel pleased witht he job I did. I also hope the little easter egg (the spider inside the skull) gets some airtime on the presentation video. This is also the only asset I produced ambient occlusion for.
Underneath are some fairly simple, low poly medicine bottles of different shapes and sizes I produced. I wanted their to be a good variety and also a sense of accuracy to them. These were fairly straight forward to make and wasn't too taxing on the texture/triangle budget.
I took alot more care over modelling and texturing the examination table than I had with the folding one. I used reference pictures of an old examination table from the 50's as inspiration and my own reference photos (which I edited) to produce the textures.
I am pleased with the end result and feel it works.
The surgical lamp was alot more challenging as at times I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to model it. I used a few reference pictures as guides and also tried to include some of my own ideas. Keeping the trianlge budget to a minimum was also challenging which is what fueled my decision to allow the normal map to define the individual lamps.
I feel the lamp does its job but overall isn't of a high enough quality when compared to the previous assets I had produced.
The final and most challenging asset I had to produce was the medical head. Whilst I was comfortable modelling the human side of the model I was pretty lost lost with modelling the skull section. I decided to plane model it but unfortunately managed to stack up quite the tri-count. However I was pleased with the model. The brain itself was just a quarter of an edited sphere.
I feel the texturing let down this asset. It was literally the last piece I had to model and was texturing against the clock. However, I think as a representation of something that is meant to be made from plastic it is satisfactory.
Overally I feel pleased with the work I had produced. There were a few setbacks that might have slowed me down but eventually all the assets (along with new ones appointed to me closer to the deadline) were completed on time.